REVIEW: f(x) - Pinocchio

f(x)'s first album Pinocchio was by far my favourite album of 2011. Nearing it's first birthday, I've decided to write a review of it - celebrating all its glory!

Check out my track-by-track review of f(x)'s Pinocchio below:


1. Pinocchio (Danger)
One of the biggest hits in Korea in 2011, in the top 10 of most-downloaded tracks of 2011 and f(x)'s biggest hit to date, Pinocchio (Danger) was truly a phenomenon last year. This song, for me, it just 3 minutes and 12 seconds of gold. From start to end, this song completely grabs hold of me. It's so addictive and has become my most played song of all time. But why do I love it so much? Firstly, I think it's a really quirky and unique song (that completely fits with f(x)'s image). The beat and subtle strumming of the guitar is a great background to the girls' vocals. Secondly, I think the lyrics are also completely unique. Any song that can incorporate the words pastry and macaroon into a song is already a winner for me. Also, this song is beyond addictive. The chorus is so catchy that it just sticks with you and never leads your head. The dance moves that accompany the chorus are also very fun and different too.

2. 빙그르 (Sweet Witches)
The first time I ever heard 빙그르 (Sweet Witches) I was completely blown away. I had never heard a song like this before - especially from the K-Pop world. Simple piano chords, basic drum beat and somewhat retro feel to it - I completely fell in love with it. I think it has a very 'alternative' and quirky feel to it and I struggle to think of another band who could take on this song - reinforcing f(x)'s individual style. The lyrics - all about medicine, basically - are very interesting and cute - drink it drink it power up! The breakdown with Amber's spoken part in English is also a lovely touch to this magnificant song.

3. Dangerous
I personally think that Dangerous picks up where Pinocchio (Danger) finishes. It's got a similar punchy, psychadelic effects and a guitar riff too - but this song still manages to remain unique. This track definately has f(x)'s stamp on it too - and once again, I can't think of another band who could tackle this song. Luna's voice is especially powerful in this short but sweet song. I'm not entirely sure why, but I definately get James Bond vibes from this track - it definately has a dangerous spy atmosphere to it!

4. Beautiful Goodbye
The first ballad of the album and it's a bittersweet song. Although it's clearly a sad song, it's very beautiful and manages to be uplifting at the same time. It's a good R&B track but if I'm honest, this is one of the weaker moments on the Pinocchio album. I think there is something in the production that makes this song sound a bit dated and doesn't quite fit in with f(x)'s style. Nevertheless, after 3 loud and fun songs, Beautiful Goodbye is a great way to slow things down and show the more vulernable side to f(x).

5. Gangsta Boy
Whereas the first three uptempo tracks explored the more pop/electro side of K-Pop, Gangsta Boy is straight up R&B. Even though the term 'Gangsta Boy' isn't the most coolest of nicknames, the song is pretty slick and manages to stay genuinely 'cool' without being 'try-hard'. The production is very simple and laid-back and without a doubt, Amber's awesome rap steals the show here. She's a really commendable rapper and definately gets her moment to shine on this track. I think this song could've been lengthened a little but apart from that, it's a fun track and a welcomed return to the uptempo's after the sombre Beautiful Goodbye.

6. 아이 (Love)
아이 (Love) is a return to the similar sound of Pinocchio (Danger) and Dangerous, and yet the song still manages to sound new and fresh. The song is really carefree and summery despite it's harsh beats and synthy sound. I think this song would've sounded fantastic situated next to Dangerous in the tracklist. Once again, Luna gets the chance to show off her wonderful set of pipes - which I love to hear!

7. Stand Up!
I love Stand Up! It reminds me of a Super Junior track and I think that Stand Up! wouldn't have sounded out of place on SJ's Bonamana album. I like the funky beat and the acoustic guitar and despite the very minimalistic production, the song manages to be uplifting and joyous. Also, it's great hearing Amber's singing voice on this track which we do not hear enough of! Luckily, we get to hear that on some of the tracks too.

8. My Style
Personally, My Style is the weakest moment on Pinocchio. I think it lacks some direction as a track - there is often too much going on with the percussion, the vocals and the trumpet sounds. It's a very fun track and I often listen to it but it's one of the few tracks where we don't get to see f(x)'s unique style come through - which is pretty ironic for a track title My Style.

9. So Into U
Although Beautiful Goodbye is clearly meant to be the main ballad on the album, So Into U is by far my favourite ballad that f(x) has ever released. It's a beautiful R&B number where we get to hear each member shine vocally. I will the be first to admit that Sulli and Victoria do not posess the most powerful vocals in K-Pop, but on songs like this - they sound great. This song has a really warm feel to it and it makes me feel great everytime I listen to it.

10. Lollipop (Feat. SHINee)
Oddly, the album ends with an uptempo number - and a duet with SHINee no less! Although it's an strange choice to conclude the album with, Lollipop is an awesome track that is the perfect fit for both f(x) and SHINee. Although the harsh beats, the vocals of f(x) and SHINee sound great layered on top of them. This is such a fun and catchy song - but my only issue with this song is that it is the final track! It should be placed somewhere else in the tracklist - not randomly tacked onto the end!

---

Despite the random order of songs, Pinocchio still manges to be near-perfect to me. I adore f(x)'s unique and quirky image and this reflects into their music. Most of the songs on here can only be sung by f(x) and in a world where there are hundreads of K-Pop girl groups vying for the #1 spot, individuality is key. And that's what f(x) has and as a band, they will no doubt continue to be themselves and dominate the K-Pop world in 2012, just as they did in 2011!

Saturday 24 March 2012

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Followers