REVIEW: Nu'Est - FACE


Nu'Est finally debuted yesterday with their first ever music video - FACE. And it did not dissapoint. I've been waiting for Nu'Est's debut since December, after seeing them in After School and Son Dambi's Christmas single Love Letter. Nu'Est is on the same record company (Pledis) as After School and when the members were announced, the 5 guys were tentatively named After School Boys or Pledis Boys. But their official name was announced as Nu'Est which is miles better than the original names.

And after a week of teasers, FACE was finally unveiled to us yesterday. For a debut single, I thought it was mighty impressive. It was slick and sharp and I really enjoyed the concept - a bullying concept which I had never seen in a K-Pop video before. I was really pleased that FACE was set in a school environment. Just as After School's debut video for AH~ was set in a school, so was FACE - and I liked that link. But unlike AH~, FACE is a gritty, edgy and powerful song. The English lyrics include lines such as 'stupid', 'so what' and 'shit' - proving that Nu'Est aren't messing around. The song is not only powerful in it's lyrics but also in it's beat - especially the dub-step breakdown in the middle.

Dancing wise, I thought these guys were so impressive. I enjoyed the chair choreography and the whole 'bullying/hitting' element to the routine. It was fast-paced and energetic and as it was set in a school, it looked really rebellious too. Ren is my favourite member because of his cold and non-cholant persona - he is the definition of 'So What?'.

Overall, I was highly impressed by Nu'Est's debut. Whereas other boybands might have debuted with a softer side, Nu'Est have already come at us with something strong and shocking. I feel like they won't be going down the fun/cute route, which I am very happy about. If they stick to this edgy image, I'll be looking forward to what else they have to offer.

5/5

Thursday 15 March 2012

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Followers