Introducing.... the first ever SNSD Sub-Unit: Taetiseo!


Girls' Generation fans - such as myself - were treated this morning to the first ever video teaser for the upcoming Taetiseo project. Taetiseo? Quite simply, that stands for Taeyeon - Tiffany - and Seohyun. Yes, one third of Girls' Generation have formed a sub-unit group and will be releasing their first single Twinkle before the end of the month. This is really exciting news because Girls' Generation have never produced a sub-unit group before - unlike their brother-band Super Junior, who have graced us with Super Junior-M, Super Junior Happy, Super Junior-T and the recent Donghae/Eunhyuk sub-unit.

The teaser - as glitzy and glamarous as it is - has raised a few questions. Why have Taetiseo gone down this route? Why are Girls' Generation only NOW introducing their first sub-unit group?

As the Queens of K-Pop, I personally don't understand why GG has decided that now is the right time to release a sub-unit. Currently, they're stronger than ever - and not only in Korea, they're doing amazing in Japan and have recently had high-profile TV spots in the U.S. For these 9 lovely ladies, their sun couldn't be shining any more. I am always happy to embrace new GG music - that's a no-brainer - but this has definately come as a surprise to me. I don't think forming a sub-unit is a reaction to After School's successful Orange Caramel sub-unit, nor Rainbow's recent sub-unit Rainbow Pixie. Instead, it just seems to be schedule-filler for Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun.

Aditionally, although the teaser isn't even 20 seconds long, we can already judge what kind of song this will be - fun, glitzy and perhaps somewhat of a throwaway party track. That's fine - I listen to songs like that on a regular basis - but it's not what I expected when Taetiseo was first announced. With Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun being announced as the 3 members of the group, I was expecting either a ballad group or a song which featured each memeber's powerhouse vocals. I have no doubt that this song will show off the 3 ladies' incredible vocals but I think I'd rather have heard their vocals laced on a deep, meaningful and emotional track - rather than this seemingly light and fun song.

I am still very excited to hear what the full song will sound like - and I have no doubt that I'll love it (I'm a big GG fan!) - but this just wasn't what I expected. I'll be writing another review when the full song and mini-album is released - and hopefully, I'll be completely blown away!

Wednesday 25 April 2012

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Followers