REVIEW: 4minute - Volume Up


4minute are officially back! After a year long break and a series of delays and push backs, their newest mini album Volume Up was unleashed to the public this week. But, was it worth the wait?

Check out my track-by-track review of Volume Up after the break:
1. Get on the Floor
Just like 4minute's 3 other albums, this album begins with an intro. Although some intros on albums are quite redundant, I've always thought that 4minute's intros have been rather strong and introduce the album well. Get on the Floor is no different. Right from the beginning you realise that 4minute are truly back with their unique dance style and they command the listener to get on the floor. Although it's a nice intro, I'm glad it's not a full song - I don't think the track has enough 'oomph' to warrant being a 3-4 minute long song.

2. Volume Up
Alot was riding on Volume Up - it was their first single after quite a long hiatus and the song had to deliver. But did it? The answer is quite simply a big YES. Volume Up is everything we've come to expect so far from 4minute - but taken to the next level. Their singles thus far have all been very cohesive in their sound - loud, fierce, electronic - and Volume Up fits right in with the 4minute mould. But this time, I feel like they've cranked the accelerator even more and created a track that is just as explosive as previous single Mirror Mirror. The song is very dance heavy and relies on an electronic sound - however, with the addition of the saxaphone, I find Volume Up to be very grown-up and not your run-of-the-mill dance song. The chorus is very powerful and HyunA's fierce raps build up to the explosive hook perfectly. This song is truly a decleration of 4minute's power.

3. I'm OK
I'm OK is a grand departure after the thumping Volume Up. The pace is slower and you could perhaps define I'm OK as a ballad. But in true 4minute style, this 'ballad' isn't soppy at all. I think it's really refreshing hearing 4minute tackle songs like that - a sweet and soft song with an acoustic guitar sound. These girls are not known for their ballads - although GaYoon and JiYoon are known for being powerful vocalists - but they sound totally comfortable tackling this softer sound. I would love to see this song being promoted on the music shows as it would really show a different side to the usually feisty 4minute.

4. Say My Name
Say My Name is a return to the uptempo tracks and I have to say, this is one of my favourite tracks on Volume Up. The beat is really strong and the song introduces a sound which could be described as Bhangra - lots of percussion and the use of a sitar. Production-wise, I feel like that this song could've been given an extra push - I feel like the percussion could be stronger and the sitar sound should be more prominent. It's a really individual song and reminded me of a couple tracks from their second mini album HuH.

5. Femme Fatale
Femme Fatale quite simply reminds me of a Western pop song - something that Rihanna or Beyoncé could've taken on. In fact, it does remind me a lot of Beyoncé's Run The World (Girls). The elements of the song that I find most striking are of course the military style beat which is really addictive and HyunA's rap in the middle. Despite all the criticism HyunA sometimes recieves, I do rate her rapping skills quite high - especially on tracks like this. Definately a song that wouldn't sound out of place in a club.

6. Dream Racer
Dream Racer was written and produced by the KOXX and is definately a departure from the fiercer tracks such as Say My Name and Femme Fatale. Although still very edgy, this song embraces 4minute's sweeter side for me. The production definately has an 80s feel but still manages to sound completely free. The song is really free and easy - lots of cheering and yeah sounds - and for me, it's a song that I'd like to play in the summer with my windows rolled down in my car! It's really fun and another highlight of the mini album.

7. Black Cat
This is by far my least favourite track because I feel it doesn't do anything for 4minute. It doesn't sound out of place on this album and it fits with their darker concept for this album, but overall - it's not addictive or innovative at all. Although the verses are quite interesting (they almost have a old-school swing style to them) the song overall lacks the magic of the rest of the tracks. If this song had a swing or 50s style to it - using real instruments - I feel like Black Cat could've been a real treat.


Overall, Volume Up was definately worth the wait. Although Black Cat didn't ignite much excitement in me, the other 6 tracks are addictive and not only show 4minute's unique style but also their growth as a group.

Thursday 12 April 2012

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Followers