REVIEW: U-KISS - 도라도라 (DORADORA) (6th Mini Album)

My latest review is for 7 member group U-KISS' sixth mini album - 도라도라 (DORADORA). Released a couple of days ago, I've had enough time to listen to it and give you all my review. So without further-a-do...

Click "read more" to read my track-by-track review of U-KISS' DORADORA:
1. 도라도라 (DORADORA)
After their recent stint in Japan and their long hiatus from the Korean music scene, I was definately anticipating their new title song - and it did not dissapoint in the slightest. Even though the song title raised an eyebrow - Dora the Explorer anyone? - as soon as I heard the track, I knew U-KISS were onto a winner. It's definately a departure from their recent output - 2011's dance hit Neverland and their high-voltage Japanese music (Tick Tick, Forbidden Love for example). Whilst it's not as electronic-sounding or fast-paced as their previous material, it doesn't matter at all - because DORADORA shines due to it's ecclectic sound. Combiding guitars, dance beats, catchy hooks and a dubstep breakdown, DORADORA ticks many boxes of what is hot at the moment. But that's not to say that it's generic - I actually find it very unique. The best part of the song is of course the catchy hook - doradoradoradora-ga-dora. 

2. 4U (For You)
Whilst DORADORA is a departure from U-KISS' recent output, 4U is the complete opposite - it's a fun and summery dance track. 4U is very current - it wouldn't sound of place on the U.S radio, and almost has elements of recent Flo Rida and Nicki Minaj hits. Honestly, I find this a bit of a dissapointment after the awesome DORADORA but I still think it's a strong track nonetheless. I just find it very 'standard'. It's a sound we hear all the time and if it was on British or American radio, it'd be one of those songs that you'd tire of due to over-play and over-exposure.

3. 사랑이 멈출 때
After the fun, upbeat sound of 4U, U-KISS slow things down with 사랑이 멈출 때. Just like 4U, I find 사랑이 멈출 때 very 'standard' sounding. It's a typical boyband ballad that doesn't break out of the box nor does it evoke any new emotions in me. That said, however, I still find myself listening to this song quite a lot. It may have better suited Super Junior but this song does serve a great purpose for U-KISS - we get to hear their vocals on full display. Songs like this - as generic as they may be - are useful to hear individual member's vocals. And for almost lifting this song out of it's generic state into something I actually quite enjoy, U-KISS get a big tick from me.

4. AMAZING
AMAZING is a return to the uptempos and it definately has a similar vibe to 4U - although this is much superior. Whereas 4U sounds completely americanised, AMAZING has it's sound firmly rooted in the K-Pop scene. With sprinkles of English (which actually sound authentic due to their 2 American members, Kevin and Eli), this song has become really fun, anthemic and enjoyable. Sure, it's not ground-breaking and it doesn't have 'hit' written all over it, but it's a track that I keep returning to and hitting that play button.

5. TICK TOCK (OUT OF TIME)
For those unfamiliar with U-KISS' Japanese activities, this was actually U-KISS' first official single in Japan. And this is actually the song which cemented my love for this band! For this Korean mini album, the lyrics have been translated and extra English has been injected into the song - making this into a club banger, rather than the heart-wrenching Japanese original. Because I've been listening to the Japanese version for so long now, my judgement may indeed be clouded. But for me, the Japanese version is far superior and doesn't sound as awkward as this Korean remake. The English additions sometimes fall a bit flat and consequently, I think I'll be sticking to the original version from now on.

All in all, U-KISS have both delivered and un-delivered in my opinion. Whilst I think DORADORA is an incredible track and a fantastic comeback single, the other new tracks don't excite me as much. The token ballad is definately enjoyable - and I really enjoy AMAZING - but overall, the mini album lacks a cohesiveness and, as a consequence, has no real musical identity that U-KISS seem to have strived for since their debut.

Friday 27 April 2012

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Followers